Here are 10 common signs of autism.
- Difficulty understanding verbal and nonverbal communication.
- Lack of empathy or understanding of other children’s feelings.
- Unusual or excessive sensitivity to noise, light, touch, texture and/or smell.
- Difficulty or failure to make and maintain friendships
- Lack of or poor eye contact and interaction with others
- Often repeats movements such as rocking, twirling, hand flapping or sounds such as words or phrases
- Craves routine and becomes very upset if routine is changed
- Unaware of danger or pain
- Limited diet because the child doesn’t like the colour, taste, smell or texture of certain foods
- Has a restricted range of interests and/or activities.
THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ANY CONCERNS OR QUESTIONS ABOUT A CHILD'S BEHAVIOR OR DEVELOPMENT SHOULD BE BROUGHT TO THE ATTENTION OF A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.